Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

To A Tree


O Tree of branching family and ancestral roots!


I wish to be buried

Under your shadow when I die

FOR

I have lived on your fruits

Meeting my corporeal needs


Let my ligaments and vessels be criss-crossed

With your circuitous roots in depth

To replenish your lost luster

For I have been using up your live bone & flesh


Let my red-blood be your chlorophyll-green

For it flew in and vivified my body


Let the gray matter of my human nature

Replenish the gloss of your pulpy fruit

For I dwelt on your green & lush growth


Let my soul sink into your roots

To grow through your flowering stamen-semen

Into another tree of leaf & fruit

For the tired and hungry


And let the cavities of my calcic skull

Comfort your seedlings

And give them motherly support

And hold water to satiate

Their bursting thirst


Thus, in gratitude,

I like to be

At your foot

At my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment